Welcome to the Utica Public Library, located in historic downtown Utica, Michigan!
Founded in 1933 by the "Tuesday Club", a group of civic-minded women, the Utica Library is proud to be one of the oldest libraries in Macomb County, Michigan. It began as a volunteer library, with the original collection donated by citizens of the city, and before the establishment of the Shelby Township and Sterling Heights libraries, also served the citizens of those communities. In 1949 Utica voters, realizing that the library needed an established souce of funding to flourish, approved 1 mill in perpetuity to support it. In the mid-seventies, the city of Utica built the building at 7530 Auburn Road to house the library, where it still resides, after years of changing locations to house its ever-increasing collection. As a member of the Suburban Library Cooperative of Macomb County, the Utica Library offers its residents access to the holdings of 20 libraries with a combined collection of over 200,000 items!
Today, the library is proud of its collection of 25,000 items,including Dvds, Books on CD, and Kindles, as well as books,of course, and proud to still be serving the citizens of Utica and the surrounding areas. With a tax base of approximately 5,000 residents, the library continues to struggle with funding, having yearly bake sales and book sales to help fill the coffers. But we have great support from our city and our residents, and look forward to serving our community for years and years to come!
Marsha C. Doege